Computers, digital devices and internet access are becoming ever more essential for daily life. Therefore at The Colleton, we want to model to and educate our pupils on how to use technology positively, responsibly and safely. We believe that by allowing children to experience the broadest possible range of equipment we are giving them the best possible grounding for their futures in an increasingly digital world. From Foundation up to Older Team, we provide opportunities for our children explore the computing themes of:
- digital literacy (the knowledge, skills and attitudes that allow children to be both safe and empowered when using digital technology),
- information technology (using computer systems to store, retrieve and send information)
- computer science (how computers and programs work, including programming) using devices including iPads, Chromebooks, Windows PCs and VR headsets.
We recognise that technology can allow pupils to share their learning in creative ways. We want our pupils to be sensitive and respectful when presenting themselves online and we have a robust code of conduct in place for e-safety throughout school that allows our pupils to use devices independently with the knowledge of how to behave if an uncomfortable situation were to arise. We ensure that staff in school model positive the use of technology, including the use of social media where appropriate to celebrate individuals’ effort and notable school events.
We aim to:
- Provide meaningful learning opportunities for computing in context by making links across the curriculum;
- Foster confidence and independence with technology by integrating the use of computers across a variety of learning activities;
- Teach using up to date tools and technology that our pupils are likely to come across out of school;
- Nurture respectful children who consider, understand and appreciate ways to stay safe online and know how to keep others safe.
Our children love using our digital devices and look forward developing their computing skills. We endeavour to make this as natural as possible by embedding technology into the curriculum wherever we can and investing in new and innovative technology to complement and enhance our curriculum. We currently use Chromebooks and iPads throughout school and we have VR Headsets to bring learning to life, with a 360° camera so we can create our own virtual content!