Design and technology is a practical subject that inspires creativity and innovative thought processes. At The Colleton, pupils are encouraged and supported to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. They are encouraged to take risks, be creative, resourceful and enterprising. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they will develop a critical understanding of the impact of the elements of D.T on daily life and within the wider world.
Throughout their school journey at The Colleton, from foundation stage to Older Team, the pupils will acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and will draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, food nutrition, computing and art all within the context of Design Technology.
The Key objectives of intent within the Design Technology Curriculum based on the National Curriculum guidance are :
- Products are to be made for a purpose.
- Individuality should be ensured in children’s design and construction of products.
- Delivery of the two strands: Designing and Making and Cooking and Nutrition.
- More emphasis to be given on creating ‘innovative’ products in KS2.
- Teaching the importance of making on-going changes and improvements during making stages.
- Looking into seasonality of ingredients and how they are grown, caught or reared.
- The introduction of computing and coding of products in KS2.
- Researching key events and individual designers in the History of Technology in KS2.
Design and technology at The Colleton is taught through a combination of defined design and technology projects, and through integrated activities within our cross-curricular learning.
An important and integral part of the Design Technology agenda at The Colleton is the teaching of food technology. Children plan prepare and cook dishes a minimum of 2 times per term. Our onsite allotment, that the children tend and cultivate, helps them to develop an understanding of where our food comes from and the importance of a varied and healthy diet.
Design and technology is a crucial part of school life and learning and it is for this reason that as a school we are dedicated to the teaching and delivery of a high quality Design and Technology curriculum; through well planned and resourced projects and experiences.